Did you know that extension cords can be very dangerous? While you might not realize it or it may not be something you even think about, the danger is a reality. As a trusted Gilroy electrician, we want you to understand the importance of extension cord safety. Today we’re here to give you a few tips that you can follow so that you make sure that you’re using the right safety measures when using extension cords.
- Always unplug your extension cords at the end of the day or when you’re done using them. It’s important to remember that they’re only designed to be used temporarily! Don’t leave them plugged in constantly.
- Remember that you should only use indoor and outdoor extension cords for their intended use. For example, never use an indoor extension cord outside.
- Before using your extension cord, inspect it for damage.
- If you notice that your extension cord is damaged or hot to the touch, don’t use it!
- Your extension cords should never be ran through walls or ceilings because this can cause them to overheat and result in an electrical fire.
- Never pierce the cord with staples, nails, or anything else to secure it in place.
- Avoid tripping hazards by never running extension cords along walkways or in high-traffic areas.
- Never try to make your extension cord fit into a two-pronged outlet by removing the grounding prong.
- When you plug your extension cord in, make sure it’s pushed all the way into the outlet so that there are now exposed prongs.